Not So Patriot Act

zach - altoona, Iowa

Not So Patriot Act

The world became a different place on September 11, 2001. Terrorists invaded the United States of America and the successfully killing over 2,900 of our citizens. It was a day that would forever mark a change in the nation. After investigating its’ aftermath, it became known that Osama bin Laden, the founder of the jihadist organization Al-Qaeda, were the orchestrators of the plot.

This is a very dangerous and slippery slope for our civil liberties. This country was founded on the principles of civil liberties and for over 240 years, we have held those liberties sacred. With the stroke of a pen, our government was given authority not only over our citizens, but detain any Middle Eastern man that they felt was a danger to us. Although I will concede that some of these individuals could have been guilty of conspiring with known terrorists, we have held these people for years at a time without charging them with any crime and not allowing them due process to the law. Our code of due process is what separates our great land from all others. We can not change our code of ethics just when it suits the circumstance.

I know that our national security an important issue and should not be taken lightly. Bin Laden is somehow been able to remain under our radar and his group is a serious threat to our country. I do not believe however that we should allow the principles that our forefathers constructed be destroyed all under the flag of fighting terrorism. Although we may be a bit safer under the Patriot Act, the cost to our country and its’ citizens is far too high. All Americans should accept that terrorists are in this world and certain precautions are necessary to keep us as safe as possible, but never at the price of the liberties that we hold dear.