I Believe In Confidence

John - Canfield, Ohio

I Believe in Confidence

I believe that confidence is one of the most important traits a person can have. It is the bridge that connects a task from start to finish; a task completed with confidence will yield better and more positive results. From the time I was young, everything I did (as long as it was not a bad thing) was praised and congratulated. Even the ugliest of art projects or personal creations were said to be “masterpieces” and “beautiful in their own way.” Whether you attribute these confidence boosters to my mother’s early childhood education training or just good parenting, they were the words I waited to hear, the praise I needed.

I believe confidence is what makes great leaders, speakers, performers, and learners. Believing in your personal abilities is evident when you are demonstrating them for others. When I give a speech or perform a musical solo, of course I am nervous, but my confidence prevails. I tell myself that I am the best, and give the best performance I can. Beginning violin lessons at age five was a great experience for me; however, I know those early screeches and scratches could not have been pleasing to the ear. But my parents stood by their beliefs and commended my playing, which is why I continued my studies and became the player I am today. Confidence is required every day, because if the world’s a stage you always have to be ready to act.

I believe that confidence can take any person to a higher level of success. A great CEO or McDonald’s manager with confidence can make the most of his or her job. Confidence also makes a person more decisive. When we trust our instincts and our thoughts, we make better and faster decisions. As an active member of my high school speech team my category requires me to give extemporaneous speeches. Confidence is what makes me a good extemporaneous speaker. The ability to make and trust my decisions makes for a better speech. Without confidence my speeches would lack a professional quality. I carry this ability to speak confidently into my everyday life. Sitting before the Eagle Scout Council, my confident speaking skills made it easy for me to answer the tough questions I was asked. At the end of the interview, I was told that my confidence made me one of the best applicants ever interviewed.

This is why I believe in confidence, in bridging parts of your life with a fiery spirit, decisive attitude, and trust in your abilities. I am thankful that my parents saw the importance of this trait when I was very young, because today there is nothing I cannot do.