I believe in honesty

Donald - Canfield, Ohio

I believe

I believe the world would be a better place if we all truly valued honesty. To me, honesty is one of the most important characteristics in creating strong relationships with others. It is the deciding factor in setting up and developing a bond with a person that can hopefully last a life time.

By being honest, I am able to show others that I have complete trust in another person. From there, that person can completely cherish and appreciate everything told to him/her. More often than not, the display of honesty will become contagious, and it will have individuals treating me the way I would want to be treated. This is why I personally believe honesty should have such a big impact since it sets the foundation of the relationship status with that other person. A friendship without a solid foundation is almost always destined for failure.

I love and enjoy others who are just open and honest with me, even when the truth is not very appealing. I remember being told one day by a peer that I did not look as physically attractive or energetic as normal. Naturally, I felt saddened, but I greatly appreciated being told the truth since I tried my best to carry on with a more positive, cheerful attitude for the remainder of the day. Another common example of total honesty I receive is every time I step onto the basketball court. Whenever I make a mistake, I am usually corrected instantly, but I am also complimented just as fast when I make an extraordinary play. By utilizing the comments and remarks on my game, I am able to become a better player for hearing the truth over my performance. Even though it may hurt my feelings, it is still extremely vital to be openly candid, that way, when I am given a compliment, the words spoken to me will have an even greater importance and everlasting effect on my life. One of my personal favorite displays of being straightforward is with my girlfriend. We are always on the same page because we value the truth, so we tell each other how we really feel inside. It is amazing because when we often compliment each other in a sincere way, we are both as happy as can be, and honesty has and will continue to be key in our successful relationship.

In a way, honesty shows that we have self-respect and respect for all of those around us. It also is an accurate way to evaluate our level of confidence. In my opinion, if we can just live freely and tell others how we really feel, it demonstrates sincerity and faithfulness. The truth is not always glamorous to us, but if we express ourselves in the most trustworthy manner possible, we would create a much better system of communication that we could continually depend on. The way we interact with one another is a fragile, delicate, and sacred connection that could be forever broken in a matter of minutes, but if we take the time to open ourselves up to others and display fidelity to everyone around us, honesty could make our world a much better place.