Laughter: Life’s Natural Cure

Robert - Eden Prairie, Minnesota

History class was finally over! I leaped out of my desk that I had been sitting in for 70 minutes and waited by the door to see the outcome of my work. “Robby!” I heard my friend, Max, yell as the desk slammed against the ground. I had just tied my classmate’s shoelace to his desk without him knowing, and felt on top of the world. This was not any normal knot however. This was my special knot, the triple twist deluxe that my dad showed me when I was young. As I humorously watched my friend climb to his feet with a look of defeat on his face, I had a revelation. It took until my sophomore year of high school for me to realize what I depend upon and what I can’t live each day without. I believe in the importance of laughter.

As a high school student who is constantly covered in mountains of homework and pressured by numerous extracurricular activities, it is extremely difficult to slow down and think about what the purpose of life is. Why do I do the same boring things everyday, when I could be having a blast doing something else? Obviously, I am not going to move to Fiji and spend the remainder of my life on vacation. However I still think that I, personally, would get the most out of my life, if I could cram the most happiness and laughter in it. Don’t get me wrong; I am not some wild, crazy hedonist. I am a shy person, but I still think that being able to laugh is the most important thing that someone can do.

Everyday, I search for those little spurts of laughter and fun that I can squeeze into my hectic schedule. For instance, yesterday at lunch, I poked a hole in my friend’s milk as he went to get food. After eating two cookies, he reached for the milk and got a huge milk stain on his pants. Let’s just say he had a very uncomfortable remainder of the day.

I am 18 years old. Surprised? I would hope so. Nobody would want every adult poking holes in each other’s milks and tying their shoes to desks. But the opposite would not be better. Suppose everyone went through their lives with their only motive being to accomplish the current task at hand. Though, they would appear to be successful on the outside, their inner feelings and desires would be like a cougar kept in a cage ready to burst out. They would not be happy. I’m not saying everyone should act like an idiot, with no responsibilities for their actions. I am simply stating what I believe in. In those times in life when stress and anxiety seem to be overwhelming, remember all the shoe-ties, the milk pops, and what ever laughter or fun you can think of. That laughter is what I believe in.