A Good Deed a Day Keeps the Doctor Away

Ellie - Hinsdale, Illinois

Throughout my life I have had one simple value. When I was little my mother constantly told me to help others. She always let people merge in front of her on the highway, even if they were going much slower. Watching this at such a young age made me realize the way I would need to behave in order to emulate this example. I believe doing a good deed every day, no matter how small, makes life better and more rewarding.

Recently, I was standing in Midway International Airport by gate B-20 waiting for my plane to depart to Florida. I was so bored waiting for the plane to come that I asked my brother, “Do you want to go buy magazines?” Of course he was not going to say no, because he usually keeps himself preoccupied by playing Tetris on his cell phone, but lucky for me it had a dead battery. We put some money in our pockets and headed off to the Hudson News stand. We were almost at the end of the terminal, so we decided it would be a good idea to take the moving walkway. Unfortunately the walkway went past the store, so we had to back track. When we arrived we began going through all of the tabloids, but we could not decide which tabloids we wanted to read, even though they pretty much said all the same things. We chose two magazines that seemed to have different headlines, and then proceeded to check out.

Instead of taking the moving walkway again we decided to just walk back to gate B-20. We were halfway back to the gate, when we noticed a little girl sitting down near a pole all by herself. She was crying, and nobody was stopping to help her. We walked over to her to ask her what her name was. She replied, “Sam”. Her mother was nowhere in sight. I told Sam to come with my brother and me to find her mother. After looking for ten minutes we found her, and she was just as frightened as Sam. She thanked my brother and me for reuniting her with her daughter, and then tried to give us money for our good deed. I told her that we could never accept money for doing the right thing.

After reuniting Sam with her mother I felt deeply satisfied. If my brother and I had decided to go back to our gate on the moving walkway we would not have received the chance to help Sam, therefore it is possible that she would not have found her mother. When my brother and I told our parents what we did they were so proud of us. Even though this was a major accomplishment in my “good deed a day” endeavor I know that even the smallest kindness can make a difference in so many lives.