Standing up for What’s Right

luke - colorado springs, Colorado

In my Construction Technology class there is a student named Scott who mentally challenged and the other day another student, Marcus, in the class was throwing things at him and laughing every time he looked around to see what happened. Marcus ended up going into the next room about halfway through class and I didn’t get a chance to say anything to him, yet before the class was over I stopped him and talked to him. Of course I was upset and bothered about what he did, and I asked if he could please not do anything like that again. He tried to tell me he didn’t do it when I clearly saw him throwing things at Scott.

What if I didn’t say anything to the Marcus? Would he have done it again? He probably would have till someone said something to him about it. If I had not stood up for the mentally challenged student I don’t know if anyone else would have. Stand up for yourself and others around you and do what you believe is right.

Stand up for yourself because others may not stand up for you. If you don’t stand up for yourself whatever it is that you don’t like that is going on will continue till you or someone else speaks up and says something.

Stand up for others around you no matter how many people you might think is against you. Some people may be afraid or incapable of standing up for themselves. Don’t wait to see if someone else will say something, just speak up. If you don’t think that your opinion will matter, you’re wrong, just speaking up and saying something will make people think and the more people think about something the more they begin to believe it.

The next time I had that class Marcus talked to Scott and was very nice to him. The class before he seemed to just want to ignore the Scott when he was wasn’t throwing things at him. What I said must have made the student think about what he did and that’s all it took for him to change the way he treated Scott.