Words Can Hurt

Sarah - Colorado Srpings, Colorado

People who are criticized everyday for whatever reason have no fun in life. They will try and change themselves to be accepted. Then they end up living there life for others and not for themselves.

Living your life for someone else is never fulfilling. You try so hard to impress other people; you forget what truly makes you happy. I once knew a boy from seventh grade named Dylan who lived his life to impress others. He didn’t have any real friends or even a favorite type of music. He just always listened to what others were listening to in order to be accepted. He never seemed to be truly happy. I finally asked him why he tried so hard to impress others. He said “it’s better than being made fun of for being myself.”

I felt so bad for him knowing that he was never having any fun. It’s a shame that people always have to degrade others for simply being different. The people who sit there and judge everyone else are normally insecure about themselves. They feel like they have to pick on someone else to make themselves feel better.

I told Dylan to start living life for himself and not for others. He came to me the next day and said that he doesn’t even know where to begin. He forgot who he was deep down inside. I simply asked him what he did before high school for fun. He couldn’t even think of anything. I told him to come and hang out with me and my friends and to be himself. It took him awhile to become his own person, but with some work he got there.

We let others have too much influences on our own lives. We tend to do what they want, dress how they want, and so on. What others say to us really matters. Next time you make fun of someone for how they dress or how they act, think about how that person might take it. Does that person have low self esteem? Are they just different? We shouldn’t judge others or make fun of others. Words can hurt.