Disney Keeps You Young

Brandy - Colorado Springs, Colorado

I glanced at the young girl as her eyes pop as I told her that Belle was coming to my school. Her face lit up like a kid in a candy shop, just by those few words. She ran up stairs to jump into her new Belle dress and came to show me all her toys and dresses that she had. She looked at me and asked whether she was going to wear her dress or if she was the real Princess Belle. She ran to the other room and grabbed her Disney movies and wanted to watch one. Her face lit up as she realized that she could meet the princess that once was only in her dreams. I realized then that her excitement was mirroring my own when I was her age, and I couldn’t help but smile and be a kid with her, once again.

Imagination is the key to keeping all of us young. The children who believe in the characters, the princesses, the animals, and the true love that comes with the fairy tales, believe that that is what makes the world so beautiful. It was created for the youth of our generations, so that they could teach those who have lost all the magic, that if they look inside them they can find that magic as well. Imagination is still the key to the young mind that keeps it in that stage where everything is beautiful.

Walt Disney once said “Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world.” Children look at the world in a different view then most of us do. They see the world as an adventure, as a huge playground that they have yet to discover. Those girl’s eyes made me realize what we have to learn from Disney. We are to learn that it is okay to stay young at heart, that it is okay to grow up and become older, but we should cherish those childhood memories, and remain young within the heart. I’m 18 years old, and the way those little girl’s eyes brightened up when even the mention of Belle and Disney made her smile made me realize that Disney is what keeps us young.