I believe in the art of Kung Fu

Paul - Gresham, Oregon

The art of Kung Fu has inspired many. Especially me. My belief began before I knew it began. It started out when I lived back up in Beaverton Oregon, when my dad would take me to Hollywood movie store to rent movies. He would rent me either a Jackie Chan or Jet Li movie so I could watch. Sometimes, I’ll pick a movie of my choice. My dad would hand me 5 dollars and gently shove me toward the clerk. Nervous, I’ll always look at my dad before paying, but he would smile back and had a look in his eyes saying, “You can do it!” I would pay the clerk my money and hand him my video. He would look on the back. I suggest it was the rating PG-13. He looked at me like, “Kid, you’re just a 5 year old, what in hell are you doing here.” I always thought that the movie wouldn’t be mine when I encountered that clerk, but I always get my movie.

Though the Jackie Chan and Jet Li that I had watched since I was a kid didn’t inspire me in the art of Kung Fu. It was the Chinese and other Asian legends relating telling of the greatest Kung Fu masters etc, such as “The Monkey King” or “The Master of Wushu,” or even “The masters of Tai-Chi/Jitsu.”

I’ve always wanted to learn Kung Fu since I was a boy. It teaches you discipline, self-defense, physical strength, trains your mind, and respect. My dad knew a few types of moves, but I was very young (About 2 or 3) when he tried to teach me, but during that time, I called my dad Sensei, or Shufu, meaning “master” or “teacher.”

Also, during that time, my dad would try to sit both my brother and I down and try to focus on one thing. Before I knew, my dad was teaching me the art of meditation. Many Kung Fu masters meditate for various reasons. I only reasons I know, was to relieve stress, train your mind, and to look deeper into yourself.

My first experience with Kung Fu was when I was living back up in Beaverton, where my friend David (who was 4 years older than me) invited me to come to his Takwondo class. I was expecting some action when I got there, but the instructor said “Free time.” David grabbed my shirt and dragged me out onto the mat as other’s did the same. Then, he told me to do a “Horse Stance.” I did so and David walked me through other Karate Exercises. Then, the instructor said something I couldn’t catch, and David escorted me back to the bench and lined up in a line. Two other instructors came out with wooden blocks. One by one the green belts tried to brake the wood in half. David was the first to break it. I was shocked and amazed and dazzled by the power and energy that was demonstrated. I didn’t know what happen, but the power seemed to attract a stupid six year old to it. I have been inspired ever since.