I belive that Life has purpose

paige - Gresham, Oregon
Age Group: 65+
Themes: purpose, question

I believe

I believe that life has no purpose.

We all remember being young. Small, innocent, ignorant. Totally oblivious to the world. You just lived your life for fun, for friends, for learning. You spend the fist five or so years of your life trying your hardest to understand the world around you. You have to learn. Learn to speak, to walk, to interact with people, to understand emotion, to basically learn to survive. And by this time, you have began to understand what I mean when I say that life has no purpose.

Once you pass the age of five, you’re already locked into the emotional trauma soon to come. Worrying about friends, drama, little kiddy crushes, and so on. You become obsessed with all of this until around the age of thirteen. That is when you begin to wonder what life is really about. You search for purpose, meaning.

As a teenager, your only goal is to either create a good future for your self, or to find your place among the social circles. You try and decide what your there for. What is your “destiny.” This is an over used phrase meaning nothing at all. Destiny is merely a way to say “your future.” You spend your childhood trying your hardest to comprehend what everything means. Every emotion, every word, every sound. Life is like a puzzle. Impossible to understand.

The day you turn eighteen, is the day that you being to feel responsible. The day you’re finally an adult. Finally a grown up. You had been looking forward to this for most of your life. But the truth of the matter is that you’re an adult now. Time to learn to survive on your own. Survival becomes the most important thing in your life. And in order to survive, you need to work.

So from then on, many things may happen. You may find love, start a family, and build a life for yourself. But in order for you to live, to keep the life you have made intact, you have to work harder than when you were younger. Your now middle aged, things are becoming harder, life is becoming more difficult. And even though you have lived for what feels like such a short time, and yet in reality is remotely short, you think that your wise, and yet you don’t understand how things work now. Things have changed once more. You still haven’t found a true purpose.

You work harder and harder as you age, until your elderly. And you have began to fill your life with faulty purpose, you’re feeding yourself lies. Then when you’re old and withering, you finally have the revelation that I’m stating in this.

You live to learn. To understand. To find purpose. And by the time that you believe that you have found it, there is nothing left for you to live for. The reality of the subject is that as human beings, we live to survive. To keep our race alive and thriving. We live to die, just so we can make room for others who have the same fate. Were all excessively ignorant until were old and it doesn’t matter anymore.