Eileen - Illinois

I believe in individuality. I believe that the best kind of person is one who is not afraid to be who they truly are and take a stand against everyone who might judge them. Because, they have to brave opposition and criticism individuals are often stronger people. Often times those that standout have more to offer than those who blend in. They offer a different perspective that can sometimes reshape our way of thinking and sometimes even the course of history.

Throughout history change has occurred. Look at how life is now and compare it to life back in the day. Way back when, everything was segregated, women couldn’t vote, and at one point people didn’t have freedom of speech or press. Change does not just happen. It takes a person standing up for what they believe in despite consequence to start change. Over time many people have been prosecuted and punished severely for standing up for what they believe in. If you take a good look at the past you’ll notice that many protesters and activist have died for what they believe is right.

When I was younger I remember a time when I was obsessed with brand name labels. I didn’t care about quality or style I only looked for a giant brand name plastered across it. I cared about brand names because everyone did. Everywhere I looked I was surrounded by people who loved logos. One year for Christmas my aunt gave me this sweater. It was hideous; absolutely disgusting it was itchy and was a weird sickly green color. When I got home I refused to wear it. My mom was about to put it in the box with clothing for charity when I noticed a certain logo stitched into the corner. I instantly changed my mind about and decided to keep it. One day we went out and I decided to wear it. The whole time I felt itchy and then I caught a look of myself in the mirror. I realized that no matter what name was on the tag or how expensive the sweater was it was disgusting. The whole day I looked as horrible as I felt. From then on I stopped caring about what other people liked and started caring about what I liked.

Individuality is a powerful trait. It takes a person who is confident and strong to do what they want and not conform what everyone else wants. Weather it’s something as big as the right to vote or as small as personal style individuals have a way of standing out and making the world an interesting and more diverse place for everyone. Next time your making a decision try to block all the media influences and peer pressure and think what do I want?