I believe in Forgiveness

Courtney - Remus, Michigan
Themes: forgiveness

Forgiveness is when you are finally able to get over something that has happened in your life.

In the last few years, I have come to the point where I have been able to forgive my parents for getting a divorce. My parents had gotten a divorce when I was in the 5th grade. It was the toughest year of my life. My sister and I never saw it coming. In the few hours that we heard the news it changed our lives forever.

My mom owned a store in our small town, my sister and I would go there everyday after school got out. When we had gotten to the store on that very day I could tell that something had happened. She told us to go in the back room because we needed to talk as a family. When we got back there we had noticed that dad was home early. Dad came and gave us both hugs, and then he told us to sit on the couch. The conversation started out great and then things took a turn for the worst. My father had told us that he was going to stay at a friends house and that he did not know when he was coming back. He gave us hugs goodbye and he left us there in the back room of my mom’s store crying. My grandma came to the store to help us through the tough time, but what we really needed was our family back together.

The worst part about that whole day was watching my dad grab his suitcase as he left his girls. It was the first time in my life that I had seen my dad cry. I can remember this day like it was yesterday and it will stay with me for the rest of my life. It has been over eight years since the divorce has been finalized.

My mom and dad are both re-married. They are extremely happy with where they are now. Even though they are happy with where they are today I never thought that I would be able to be as happy as they are. It has taken me all of the last eight years to truly forgive them for getting a divorce.

Forgiving them has changed my life entirely. From this experience I have learned that forgiveness takes time but you will not be truly happy until you have forgiven the people that have done you wrong. Forgiving someone will probably be the hardest thing that you will ever do. You need to let go of the anger and move on, but that does not mean that you need to forget.