Teamwork on the Court

Joe - Mecosta, Michigan

I feel that teamwork is one of the most important aspects to the sports world, especially basketball. I feel that you can’t win unless everyone is working together in a positive manner. In my junior high days my basketball team was unstoppable. Now I’m a senior in high school and we are struggling.

We are struggling due to the fact that our team doesn’t get along. Sometimes I feel like we are a girl’s team with a lot of drama. We have had two of our teammates get in a fight in the locker room and one was a big time starter. We have lost two games by one point and two in overtime when we should have blown the teams out. We seem to have trouble closing the deal because we tend to play down to our opponents level instead of playing to our full potential.

My senior year of basketball is halfway over now and we seem to be putting the bad things behind us. We just had a game against a really good team and just lost, but we had a lot of fun playing. We then played a bad team and didn’t play to their level and blew them away by thirty. We are just now finding out that if we go out and work as a team and have a little fun we can be really good. We know now that no matter how much you don’t like the person next to you that when we step on the court we put all of that behind us to do what is best for the team in order to succeed.

This is the way we used to play back in junior high when nobody cared and all they wanted to do was go out on the court and have a little fun for four quarters. Basketball is my favorite sport and is now the only sport that I play. I hope that the second half of my senior basketball season will be all about teamwork to make it a lot more fun to play and that we can go on a big winning streak and win a district title.

In the end, whether you are playing football, baseball, hockey, or basketball you can’t win without teamwork and having a little fun.