From Nothing I Became….

Zachery - 49340, Michigan

I believe in putting in time and the work to get what you want. I started to do something with my life when I was a freshman. Before that the only thing I did that was even remotely active or worthwhile was play baseball in 5th grade, which I sucked at. My freshman summer I decided that I was sick of being a lazy unpopular kid. So I did something about it, I joined freshman football.

As you could guess at this point I was not in the best shape ever. It was tough and I considered quitting many times. I stuck with it, though, and before I knew it the season was done and I finished something for the first time in my life. At the end of the season my coach had a talk with us freshman, he said that if we really wanted to get better at football and be better athletes that we should wrestle. Right then I made my decision because I did not play very much as a freshman and I wanted to start as a sophomore.

I then embarked on what I would soon realize was the hardest thing I had ever been up against. I talked to my fellow classmates about wrestling and they said that it was harder than football. I said yeah, right, there is just no way they got to be messing with me. Sure enough it was harder, a lot harder. I wanted to quit so bad that it wasn’t even funny but for some reason I couldn’t. I stuck it out, and even though I sucked really bad I kept at it and finished out the season.

I continued to lift and workout in the summer and sure enough when the next year rolled around I was the starter. I started offensive tackle the entire year. When wrestling came I also did very well on the J.V. only losing a couple matches. I didn’t start in wrestling, because I was behind what ended up being an All-State kid. At this point I wanted the spotlight.

I kept working and though I didn’t start in football, I was the starting varsity heavyweight in wrestling. I had a decent season and I worked hard all year. I ended up taking our team to team states by beating a kid that had beaten me about three or four times before.

My junior year came to a close and I kept working hard. I wanted so badly to start in football that I could almost taste it so I lifted and went to camps throughout the summer. All of my hard work paid off because this year I started as a defensive tackle in football and accumulated fifty-five tackles on the year. Also I still start in wrestling and am currently ranked in the state of Michigan. It just goes to show that if you put the time in and work hard you can do great things.