Hard wok

Sam - USA
Themes: work

Sam Reed: I believe that hard work is a must for every single person in the world. You need to work hard at everything that comes along in your life. It can be that you work hard at school, at your job, or at home, just to name a few. You need to choose to work hard. You can accomplish so much more in life with hard work; you can do anything you want.

This last summer I got a great job in Alaska. I was working for a hunting and fishing outfitter as a guide. Every day of my life I have dreamed of being a professional hunting and fishing guide. The owner of the outfit, Sam Fejes, picks only the hardest workers to guide for him. You might think that being a hunting and fishing guide is easy, but there is more work involved than just hunting and fishing.

The work that just goes into getting the camp ready for clients is backbreaking work. The long hours in the field and attending to whatever the client wants. So every day I was the first one up at camp and the last to go to bed. I would always complete everything and make sure it was right over and over again. I would never complain about how tired I was after a 12-hour day. Every night after dinner I would do the dishes and clean up. The cook needed help cleaning the floor so I would help her. I would offer to do a job for another guide at camp so they could get to bed earlier.

I would always give clients my full attention because there needs came first before anything else in the camp. At the end of the summer I could tell my hard work was starting to pay off. I got a lot of respect from all the other guides and was put in charge of things other guides have not been able to do for the nine years they have worked for Sam. In the end I was told that I have a job anytime I need one, no questions asked.

In my case, working hard will help me achieve a dream and start my career.