You can still love from afar

Kylia - Weidman, Michigan
Themes: love

It was January 1st, 2008. He wrapped his arm around me while we were lying there on the couch, with all our friends. I felt myself, in a sense, melt. We didn’t even know we had feelings for each other, it just happened. We spent almost every weekend together, watching movies, playing the Xbox, going out to dinner and doing many other things together. We fell in love within two months. Some people claim that you can’t fall in love within two months or you don’t know what it’s like to be in love…but we did. Yes, maybe others thought that we weren’t in love, but we felt it.

We broke up after those two months, stopped talking for a few weeks, and even tried ignoring each other. It didn’t help either of us. It made both of us hurt more and more. Then it came to his graduation and we both knew what was coming. We wouldn’t see each other. We wouldn’t get to spend every weekend moment together. We wouldn’t get to go have dinner whenever we felt like it. There was nothing we could do. So as he walked across the stage to get his diploma, I smiled. I wondered if he was looking for me. I wondered if we would ever be the same people we had been before. Would we be the same two people that fell in love and couldn’t stand to not see one another? Would we ever get to go spend time doing the things we once did before? After the ceremony we said hello and goodbye and then went our separate ways.

I tried all summer to hang out more than we did. We didn’t talk as much as we used to. He spent most of his summer at the ranch where he worked, while I spent most of mine working at the campground. Even though we still weren’t on the best terms, I loved him. Later, towards the end of summer, it came time for him to leave for school, Lincoln Tech, in Indiana. I didn’t want him to leave. I wanted him to stay. I wanted to spend more time with him. I wanted him to see that I still loved him and I wanted to be with him.

Now, after a rough few months, we’re back together, more in love than before and waiting to spend more and more time together. We realized that what we had before was something we wanted again. Something we shouldn’t destroy because of a misunderstanding. Something we could work through and talk through tough parts. Because of the distance, I have come to realize that you can still love from great distances, even if you’re four hundred miles away from the person you love. You just have to believe in each other, have trust in each other, and have faith in each other. Long-distance relationships don’t always work, but not everyone has what we have.