Megan - Blanchard, Michigan

I believe that I am not meant to have any pets. It all started when I was about 7 years old. My grandma and grandpa got me a bunny. This was my very first pet that I had to take care of all by myself. Not too long after I got my bunny my grandparents wanted me to go up north with them. I really wanted to go so I asked my mom to take care of my bunny for the week. She agreed and I went up north for the week. When I got home my mom told me that my bunny had died. I was so mad at her because her only job was to take care of my bunny for one week and she had let my bunny die. She didn’t tell me how my bunny died, but once I got older I heard through the grapevine that my dog had ate my bunny!! I was really sad.

The next pet that I had was a goldfish. His name was Colby-jack. He didn’t last long because one day I was cleaning his fishbowl and I went to dump the fish in the sink, but when I did Colby-jack fell right down the drain. I had forgot to put the plug in. Ooops!!

After all of my pets had died we waited a few years to get another pet. My next pet I got was a Siamese cat. I named him Simon. He was my favorite pet because he was my cat. He slept with me and would always want to play. Well, one day I got home from school and my cat was missing. I had left him outside because he liked to play during the day when I was gone. I couldn’t find him so we called around to the neighbors and they said that another lady had been looking for a Siamese cat, too. We found out who the lady was and we went and asked her. She had Simon. She said that she found him at our house and that it was her cat that had been missing. We showed her pictures and told her to give it back, but she wouldn’t. She stole my cat. We even went to court over it.

Once my grandpa died my grandma was all alone. One day a black dog just found its way to her house. My grandma took the dog in and it became hers. She named it Buddy. She said that it was my grandpa reincarnated because she came right after my grandpa had died. Well, when my grandma died she wanted us to take care of the dog so we did. Buddy was really old and she had arthritis. Well, one day I was late for school and I hit Buddy with my car. I just bumped her legs, but she had arthritis so bad that she couldn’t get up. It was cold out that day so I dragged her into the garage and hurried home from school to check on her. She still couldn’t get up so we had to have her put down. I was so sad. I felt like I killed my grandpa.

Later that year my grandma’s cat had kittens and there was another Siamese one. She gave it to me and I named her Pooky. She was just like Simon. She loved to play and she also loved to go outside. I didn’t want her to go outside because I didn’t want anything to happen to her, but she would have to be cooped up in the house all day if I didn’t let her out. I didn’t want her not to be happy so I let her out. I came home one day and I couldn’t find her anywhere. I looked outside until it got dark and then I went in. The next day when I got home from school my mom said that she still hadn’t seen her. I looked until dark again that night and still no sign of Pooky. I was really sad and I was just hoping that she would return safely. She didn’t and about a week later my aunt called that lives right across that street from me and said that she was on a walk and that she found Pooky. She was in a ditch right by my house dead.

All of these stories make me believe that I am not meant to have pets!