Alexander - Southington, Connecticut

I believe in free education. There are people in the world who are making education impossible for some people by setting the price too high in the name of profit. If everyone was able to get a good education, the world would be better because everyone would have the knowledge to make it a better place.

Imagine a poor family living in a terrible house. If free education was introduced into their community, the children of the poor family could look forward to an equal future, not one set by their class. Since they couldn’t afford education without putting themselves into hopeless debt, all the children could look forward to cleaning stoves at McDonalds.

It is true that there are many scholarships out there to try and ease the financial pain that school brings, but there are still many bright children overlooked in high school who barely get any money. Or it is a possibility that there is an extremely bright student that happens to be poor so he does not do well in school because he is working to try and help feed his family. Either way, there is just not enough “free” money going around for everyone to get the money they deserve to help pay for something that should be free in the first place.

There is also a problem with not enough education going on in third world countries. I see many newscasts about how people are doing anything they can to help random tribes living with no commodities, but not many about those people teaching those tribes how to do it for themselves. “Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.” This famous adage works as a reminder to us that we should be spreading education around the world. Unfortunately, with our current system of paying for better education, those tribes would only probably get about a third grade education because that is all that the oil found on their land could pay for.

The government decided that education should be free up to the twelfth grade, so why not higher education too? They even went as far as making school mandatory up until the age of 16. Didn’t they think that actually preparing someone for the job they would like was important too?

Having a system in place for free education would greatly help our society. With more skilled people in the world doing all the necessary jobs and making up new way to complete jobs more efficiently would make life much easier. With more doctors there would not be a three hour wait in an emergency room where someone could possibly die in that time. With more politicians there would be more minds working on the problems like world peace or how to prevent wars. Bottom line is that with more people being able to do the work, the work is done better.

Just the debt from student loans alone could ruin the rest of a person’s life even if they are skilled enough to be a doctor or a politician. Having to pay the exorbitant interest rates could condemn a person to the slum they were trying to avoid by getting that education in the first place.

Life with everyone having an equal future and having everyone skilled greatly appeals to me. Looking forward to a future where everyone is working hard with the skills they picked up in school seems like a distant dream right now, but it may some day be a reality. Hopefully, one day, the government will decide that they do indeed want to better the American people and provide the people with the schooling they need.