Emerson Rings True

Charles - Zephyrhills, Florida

I believe in self reliance. I believe that I am the only person that can motivate myself to become what I know I am meant to become. I am the only one who will steady me when I falter, and the only one who will pick me up when I fall. I am the only one who can make choices that have real affects in my life. I believe in destiny, and I believe that I control my own.

I am inspired everyday by individuals that have taken their futures into their own hands and shaped it as if it were soft clay. Hiram Rhodes Revels became the first black U.S. congressmen because he wanted that seat; he took control and made it happen. Johanna Sigurdardottir, the Prime Minister of Iceland, became the first openly gay Head of Government in the world just this year. Nobody did that for her, she made it happen for herself. Barak Obama’s own perseverance, intellect, and self reliance gained him the U.S. presidency this year as well. These heroes overcame bias, threats, and even majorities to chase and realize their dreams. I believe that I have the strength to follow in their footsteps, and I am determined to succeed.

Every day I tell myself to never stop learning, to never stop striving, and to never stop believing that I will achieve my goals. Surely, though, I cannot put it better than Emerson did in his essay, “Self Reliance.” Ne te quaesiveris extra. Seek not outside yourself.