This i believe:A chance to hope

christopher - charlotte, North Carolina
Themes: hope

Have you ever heard someone say “there is no hope?” Well I have, Ive even had the phrase directed towards me. Then an uncle of mine changed my whole idea of hope. He said “if you give hope, the hope others have will return to you.”

On November 29, 2006. My older brother and I were driving down the road. About 20 minutes away from where I lived at the time. We hit a patch of black ice. The car ended up on the side of the road upside down. Thankfully a car that was behind us. Didn’t hit the ice and stopped to help us. I woke up about three days later with a broken leg. As soon as I could stand the first thing that I did was to go see my brother. When I got to his room my parents were talking to the doctor. What I heard changed everything.

My brother was In a coma, and wasn’t expected to come out of it. Thats when I began to lose hope. I felt like it was all my fault that he was in that situation. I felt like there was nothing in the world that could bring back hope. A week later I began to reject any form of hope. I began to stop all the activities that I had loved to do. Then a chain of events returned my hope, and changed my life forever.

On march 23, 2007. my uncle got leave from Iraq. He heard what happened, and instead of going home he came straight here. When he got here nothing had changed and I was still depressed. He asked what was wrong and I told him that the doctors said there wasn’t much hope, so why should I have hope. He went on to tell me something that happened to him while he was in Iraq.

He met a child that was about 7 years old. The child came to him for help, hoping and praying he could do something to help. When the boy came up to him. He said that they said there was no hope. My uncle then continued to ask who are they. The child the said the bad men. My uncle immediately took action. When the boy and my uncle got to the building. At first my uncle was hesitant to go in the building. But something told him that someone needed help. So he decided to go in. The father of the boy was laying on the ground, bleeding. He asked what happened and the boy told him his father had been shot.

Then my uncle said something that changed my life and the life of the child.

He said no matter what there is always hope, no matter the circumstances. Then I realized that no matter what happens to a family member, or even a good friend. There should always be hope. If you don’t have hope it can change your life forever.

After I realized this, an immediate change happened. I began to go back to my normal self. And just 2 and a half years later my brother awoke from his coma. He is now currently living with my dad. He now has his memory back, and is talking very well. Unfortunately he cannot walk yet, but when everything is back to normal. I hope that it will be just like it had been before the accident.

So always hope no matter what happens, because if you give up hope. You give everything you care about, and That is what I believe in.