Personal Responsibility Is Key

Fred - PonteVedraBeach, Florida

During these tough times in our country it seems that everyone is pointing fingers and playing the blame game. As long as we continue this attitude, it will be extremely hard for or country to get back on its feet. We have all made mistakes and may have even been misled to make bad decisions, but we must face the fact that we are the ones who made poor decisions. Passing off the blame is not the way to correct problems. It’s time that we take personal responsibility for our actions and make sacrifices to correct our mistakes.

Along with freedom comes a great responsibility. Without responsibility, freedom can bring major chaos. The first level of responsibility lies in the hands of individuals. With the current economic crisis, the first mistakes made to cause the recession were poor personal decisions. People began taking out loans and spending excessively in which they had no business doing in the first place. This led to an astronomical amount of consumer debt which is not being paid off. Now the people who were responsible are being affected because even they can’t get credit anymore. Until the individuals who have created the credit crunch make sacrifices and pay off their debts, we will continue to be in a credit crunch.

Aside from the economy, we have a cultural problem on our hands. The younger generations of our country are beginning to lose the fundamental values of our society. Respect for elders and authority is deeply deteriorating. Family units are also not as strong as the once were. Stop and think. When was the last time that you sat down for a family dinner on a regular basis? More important for evangelicals, when was the last time that your family regularly attended church? I have drawn a conclusion that the deterioration of the family unit can be held responsible for the lack of respect and discipline in our society. But who is at fault? Each individual family in this country that has allowed themselves to drift apart.

The main thing that we must do to get our country back on track is to man up and face the consequences of our mistakes. No more passing off the blame or using guilt to make others feel responsible. The reason we all make mistakes is so we can learn from them and make sure we don’t make that mistake again in the future. If we are not acknowledging that we have made mistakes, we can’t make the amends necessary to correct them. Until we can correct our mistakes, we will not learn from them or be able to put them behind us.

There are two major influences to my belief. The quintessential source is the philosophy of existentialism. Existentialism is the theory on individuals and their behavior. Another source of my belief comes from two great men. The first being Ronald Reagan. Reagan’s message inspired the country to become more unified and work towards the greater good of the country beginning at the personal level. Fred Thompson also inspired me by acknowledging the fact that many of the problems in our nation began with poor personal decisions, and the only way to get our nation out of the slump was to take personal responsibility. These great men have laid a format, let’s carry it out and put America’s better days ahead of her!

All things considered, the citizens of this great nation have a lot to work on. The only way to get back on our feet is to take personal responsibility. This I believe! In the words of Ronald Reagan, “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.”