I Believe

Douglas - Amherstburg, Canada

September 11, 2001

If there ever was a definition of horror for mankind, this was surely it. It was the end of the world for many and we thought perhaps for us all.

My wife Amy and I were living in Georgia at the time. We were at work like most of the country. I was in a meeting with our management and some financial people from out of town when a lady from our office came rushing in. She whispered to the Plant Manager that a plane had hit a building in New York and they suspected Terrorism.

We turned on a TV and watched in silence and disbelief as the second plane struck the second tower. The rest of the events are as well known to us as they are to the world.

To have been in the buildings or on any of the planes must have been as bad as it ever gets. That short range knowledge could drive one mad. But in the case of one plane, this knowledge of certain death empowered those people to make heroic moves that would take their own lives, but ultimately save many others. I cannot help but feel proud of their actions, and I hope I would have the same willpower if ever required.

As did most of the country, I called my family and made sure they were all OK and assured them we were as well. We cried, and thanked God for our lives and then slowly went back to them.

It was in the ensuing days that I wrote the following poem. Until now it was only ever shared with one person, whom I do not even remember. I know he was deeply religious, and deeply torn by the events. I thought it may be of some solace to him as it was to me.

I Believe

I believe that your God

is the same as my God

That there is only one Power

One Deity,

One Force,

that connects us all.

I believe that regardless of

how you worship

where you worship

or what you call it,

it is the same.

The point is not so much

What you believe,

the point is that

you DO believe.

As I live,

I will love,

I will hate,

As will you.

But I still believe in the

Greater Power.

We are only one race.

We are mankind.

When we truly understand this

we will understand that only WE

can change what WE believe.

This, I believe.