John - Florissant, Missouri

I believe that music has the power to provide the deepest of healing. Oliver Wendell Holmes once said, “Take a music bath once or twice a week for a few seasons. You will find it is to the soul what water is to the body.” As I sat in the car, distraught and dismayed by the onslaught of my senior year, I turned on the radio to feel its soothing comfort. KSHE 95 was pumping out Alice Cooper’s “Schools Out”. As Alice shrieked his line, “”Out for summer, out for fall, I might not come back at all”, I rejoiced inside knowing that I was so close to being done.

“Don’t we just love the great soothing sound of Alice?”

“Yes!” I enthusiastically replied to the radio host, this event got me thinking. Many people love to listen to music and they can name a song or two that they just love to listen too. Some people even have songs that they listen too on certain occasions or when they are feeling a certain emotion. Whether we hear “Saturday night” by the Bay City Rollers and just want to dance or we hear “Wish you were hear” by Pink Floyd and just want to cry, or even the little love song that reminds you of that certain someone; everyone has a connection to music. Our connections and emotions bring healing to us as humans. Music carries a variety of purposes the greatest of which is its therapeutic values. I believe that music can heal.

Instead of paying for a psychologist I suggest listening to Mozart, Bach or Beethoven. Hey if your feeling even more crazy how about those Rolling Stones, The Who or The Beatles? Whenever I find myself in a bad mood, the fastest way for me to fix it is to head to a piano. My anger and frustrations seem to fall off as I pound away at “Beethoven’s 5th”, letting the expressions of the music reach into me and release my tensions. “Beethoven’s 5th” soon transitions into his “Moonlight Sonata”, as my emotions shift and the therapeutic values take over. Anytime I hear “Joy to the World” by Three Dog Night, I am brought back to fond memories of my best friend and I as kids running around in my back yard doing an impression of the song, and it brings a smile into my day. While the music can help change me from a bad mood to a happy one, music also helps me to think about the deeper things in life. A song like Bob Dylan’s “Blowing in the wind”, makes me take into consideration some of the deeper things in life. Songs no matter how big or small always seem to have an effect on me. I believe music can have wonderful effects.

Music Therapy is a growing profession in America today because of the power of music. Michael Torke once said these well observed words, “Why waste money on psychotherapy when you can listen to the ‘B Minor Mass’?”. He was referring to Bach’s “B Minor Mass”, a wonderful piece of music. In our fast paced society many of us have to deal with undue stress and anxiety. We spend outrageous amounts of money on treatment when all that is truly needed is a good piece of music. Many studies have proven that the harmonics in classical music stimulate the brain and especially music from the broche period. Music also allows us to express our feelings as a way of relieving stress and anxiety. It was once said by Gustav Mahler, “If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music”. Lyrics in songs get over looked due to the highly hyper society we live in, but when we take time to look at what a song is really saying it can allow us to make deep connections in our mind and be able to express our feelings through the song. This ability that music gives us to express our emotions and feelings is what makes it such great therapy.

I believe that music can be therapy because of how it connects us to God. Throughout the Bible, God tells us to “praise him” and to do it with music, an example of this is Psalm 149, a whole chapter telling us about singing to God. Praises to God can prove to be some of the best forms of therapy. Through singing songs to God, we are able to express our emotions and feelings, we are also able to connect with the truths of God’s word which can be one of the greatest aspects. Songs like “Amazing Grace” allow us to connect and be revived as we listen to the truths that God has to offer. As we go through the stresses of life, surrendering to God through song can be very liberating. As the song say, “cast all your cares upon him, lay all of your burdens down at his feet”.

I believe that music can heal and allows us to better understand who we are and how we act as humans. So when you feel like you’re at your last nerve or you just can not handle the stress, pop in some tunes and relax knowing that music can provide tip-top therapy to even the most difficult of patients.