The Truth About Life

Kaylee - St Joseph, Missouri

Everyone’s philosophy is usually found within someone they look up to and that person’s beliefs and goals. But my philosophy on life, I found within myself.

Every day I used get down on something, whether it was boy problems, grades, or just simply a bad hair day. But this past year, I realized that my problems are nothing compared to some people’s issues. This year I started working with the Special Olympians. Ever since the first day I’ve been around them I’ve noticed how silly and pointless all my problems truly are. I mean everyday these kids and even adults have to wake up to assistance, take medicine, and deal with it because it will never go away.

They truly helped me figure out who I was and who I can be, no matter who’s around life can be shorter than more people expect, so why waste even a minute of being unhappy? When you sit down and really think about it, you’re the luckiest person compared to some others. These people have the biggest and hardest problems anyone could deal with and ask for. But yet, you never see that smile disappear off their face, no matter what! I honestly love being around them, mostly because they’re just so happy and loving!

This whole experience has been life changing. When I have kids one day, I want to adopt a baby with Downs Syndrome. Some people find this weird and unusual, but to me it would be a miracle. I can’t even imagine having someone as special as that, as a kid. I really believe that everyone needs to experience working with these kids, your life will change forever! I also think that people who think they have all these problems should witness what some of these people have to go through! I mean, how would you feel if you got kicked out of your house and had to live in a group home? See, bad hair days aren’t so bad after all.

I truly have changed as a person because of all of these wonderful people. They complete me and make me who I am! I wish I could spend every minute of everyday with them.