I Believe in God

Rebecca - Fairview, Tennessee

I remember when I found God, and it was not in a church or a Christian school. My school was having one of its first football games and all of the kids in my grade were going. So I decided to go and root for my school. If it was possible, I also wanted to hang out with the people I did not normally hang out with at school. My school was taking a bus for the game, and I was sitting alone. I looked around to see everybody sitting with someone, except me. I started to think to myself, “Maybe I’m not supposed to have friends.” Throughout that day I tried to be beside the more popular kids at the game. I tried to get into their conversations and listen. With no such luck, my money was stolen from some boys at my school. I knew who they were, and they were not very mature back then. I finally got my money back. I was a bit angry and I was saying words that replaced bad words, like ‘damn’ to ‘dang’ or ‘hell’ to ‘heck.’ One of the boys slapped me in the face and wanted me to swear like a normal person. I refused. The boy hit me again, wanting me to say a curse word. I did not do it. I finally walked away, while the boys were walking beside me, trying to convince me to swear. Suddenly, almost everybody at our school was in a crowd and they were coming toward me and the boys. One part of the crowd was yelling and swearing at the boy who hit me. The other part of the crowd was asking me what had happened. I felt sick, and I thought I was going to throw up. So to avoid any more, I tried to walk away and pretend nothing happened. Suddenly I felt a horrible pain inside and I dropped to my knees and starting sobbing. The crowd moved toward me, and many of the people in it were comforting me. I saw everyone from my school even the cool kids were by my side. Suddenly I felt something else, it was not pain, but it was love. I felt a force inside me that was almost saying, “It’s going to be alright, they’re here for you, and so am I.” I knew that this feeling was from God. I knew God was there, and he was right in front of me. He was the crowd of people that came to my aid, in my most dire need. I believe that God is everywhere. I came from a Catholic background and a Christian school, and for some reason I did not find God. Yet, I found Him when I was in a school that did not teach His ways or other religions. I do believe in God, and I love Him deeply. I do not think He is hypocritical, I don’t think He hates us, and I don’t think He has abandoned us. I believe that He is there, I believe that He loves us and I believe, like any other father would do towards his own children, that He is trying to teach us. Teaching us how to endure and love at the same time. I can get angry whenever someone insults God, but I guess it’s my anger that blinds me from the truth. I shouldn’t be angry on those who do not believe in God, I should love them and pray for them instead. I believe that’s what God wants us all to do, is to love and forgive each other, no matter what. That is what I believe, I believe in God.