I believe in the beauty of time passing…

Derek - Highland Park, Illinois
Age Group: 65+

…for me it is one of the most enduring of images. And one of the most beautiful.

Everywhere, I see the most extraordinary examples of the moment being transformed by the passage of time.

I wake up in the morning and it is still as dark as night . Yet time tells me it will not last for long. And sure enough, here it comes! The promise of the sun soon to break over the horizon. Evolving into a magnificent spectacle of light. Colors ever changing begin to shape the day – this icon of nature, the very engine that drives our evolution is there pretty much every day for all to see. Evolving with every passing second.

Nature forever changing, evolving through the day, across the seasons. The seasonal transformations against which we play out our lives.

And watch others play out theirs.

I see the most extraordinary examples of this evolution – I’ve seen my children and now my grandchildren – young bodies and minds changing across the days, maturing with each passing moment, ever evolving before my eyes. Just catching a glimpse of an erupting smile on their faces offers a moment of magic.

Glancing across the room and seeing my wife reading – my mind flashes back to the day we met. The shape and form of her profile remains the same but the attitude and repose reflects a serenity that only time can explain.

I watch her cultivate our garden and help her plant the flowers that transforms a palette of grey amber browns to the magnificence of full glowing color. With the planted seeds comes high speed evolution. Within but a week the soil breaks open and there appears the promise of beauty. Within weeks the promise has reached reality and is now in full glorious bloom.

It is not only the passing of time across the days and the seasons but the individual creative acts of us all that make for an evolving aesthetic that so often goes unnoticed.

Watching the artist sketch and paint the landscape – first in pencil, then slowly evolving (like a long slow dissolve in a movie) color is added. First the blue of a summer sky and then the hazy blues of the distant horizon give way to the vivid hues and colors that define the foreground. Magically bringing it all to life.

Observing the construction worker I marvel at the way the architectural drawing is transformed into reality. First come the 2×4’s ever evolving through a series of steps to the completed project now fully realized in three dimensional form.

Then I observe the actors as they audition and rehearse – their performance constantly evolving over hours, days and sometimes weeks to create a theatrical production that demands time to reach perfection.

Time, is indeed of the essence. It demands our attention to the extent that it seems there is so little of it. Yet as an agent of change, it transforms, heals and forgives. For those with patience to observe and recognize time passing, I believe it can be one of the great rewards of life.

And one of the most beautiful.