I believe in Acceptance

David - West Des Moines, Iowa
Age Group: 65+

I believe in Acceptance as a way of dealing with everyday life. “The beginning of wisdom starts with acceptance” is a statement that I use to remind myself that I need to use my experience and wisdom before I do anything else. Acceptance becomes the starting point for me to use the wisdom I have to deal with anything that comes along as part of daily living. Each day things happen to you that you have to make choices about how to deal with them. If you start with the concept that this has happened and that I have to accept it, I can then start the process of how I am going to react to that event by using the wisdom I have obtained. A Chinese Proverb states that ”The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their correct name” In Alcoholics Anonymous they use the prayer” God grant me the Serenity to accept the things you can not change, Courage to change the things you can, and the Wisdom to know the difference”. Thomas Jefferson said “Honesty is the first chapter in the book of Wisdom”. By using these comments as guidelines, I then have a choice on how I deal with any event. After I have accepted the event, I can take time to focus and think before I respond. I have found that if I keep my intelligence ahead of my emotions things usually work out for the better. I even use a formula that says “Keep your I (Intelligence) over your E.(Emotion) (I/E). I also use a formula that says “Event plus Response equals Outcome (E+R=O). If I don’t like the outcome I need to learn to change my response to the event. I always have the choice of an emotional response or an intelligent response. I have found that the emotional response to an event can be a quick way to get into trouble. Whereas by using the intelligent response I get better outcomes. It all starts with Acceptance, then Wisdom and using the tools that I have learned, I can get the best response to any event. It really makes a life filled with joy and happiness more enjoyable each day.