Life needs to be messy

Alex - St. Augustine, Florida

The fourth grade classroom isn’t your typical place to have a revelation. But it is where I came upon this particular nugget of knowledge: Organization is a mind-poison. That is to say “I believe in disorganization”. I have always been disorganized and was actually considering turning over a new leaf until that fateful day in December of my fourth-grade year.

In all honesty, my desk was a sty. Its limited “cubby-space” was crammed with papers long past their relevance and stuffed assorted pen parts. Looking over at the pristine desks of the other children with their color-coordination and ease of access made me feel like a slumlord. I was eyeing my desk apprehensively when my teacher, who bore a strange resemblance to Ursula minus the purple skin, came over to see what was wrong.

What she saw so disgusted her that she tipped my desk over with me in it. The veins bulged out in her neck as she looked down on fourth grader me, half-hidden below a pile of paper. “Clean this crap up!” she bellowed, immediately before the required gasp arose from the pre-pubescent peanut gallery. Mrs. B called down the Lord’s mercy on my “poor, pathetic soul” while I cleaned up the mess she’d made. This is the point that I reached my belief in disorganization, because its opposite was so evil that it turned my favorite teacher into a monster, telling me to find God in a trapper-keeper.

Life is messy; therefore disorganization is the natural way of things. Teaching your mind to organize can only hurt because it goes against human nature. For example, my dear friend Vanessa recently switched jobs titles from “Waitress” to “Receptionist”. Within a month her perennial tan was fading, replaced with pale skin and bloodshot eyes. All her sentences were clipped and impersonal and every time I saw her, her hair seemed to become more and more frazzled. This is what organization does to you (In case you’re wondering Van has now gone from “Receptionist to “Unemployed” claiming that she “just couldn’t take it anymore”). A good reason for this adverse effect is that there is no reward for organization, there’s only more to be done when new elements are added. As a result, you have to train yourself to do tasks that have no conceivable reward, which isn’t healthy. On the contrary, disorganization leads to the need to find papers in large piles. This task has a very concrete reward, and you will feel much more accomplished than if you just had to “follow the alphabet.” Furthermore, if you teach yourself to organize and then your new skill is no longer needed, you can become a danger to society. Secretaries and postal workers, when introduced to the disheveled world of unemployment, have a tendency to come back armed and systematically pick off their former co-workers. Insanity should be expected of them, as their poisoned mind is no longer capable of dealing in the “real world”. I believe that they are sick and need help.

I believe that disorganization has led me to a healthier life. They can have their filing cabinets. As for me, I’m going to ruffle my hair, undo my cuff links, and Keep Life Messy.