Dylan - Cullowhee, North Carolina

I believe in something ripped straight from a relatively cheesy phrase that we throw around rather lightly through the formative years of our lives. This idea has been reinforced from the time we weren’t old enough to even grasp it, to the life steering decisions we make leading into and through college. It comes in many forms; “do what you love”, “follow your dreams”, and “do what makes you happy” are among its many forms its come to manifest itself in. It is fostered in nearly every child from a young age. Who doesn’t remember proudly declaring to the rest of the class that you were going to be an astronaut or a race car driver or a famous actor/singer. In classrooms all over the world, children are dreaming big with an entire world of possibility before them. Tragically, somewhere along the way in this journey we know as life, we lose this. Whether it be reality creeping in on you or a fear to take the step into the unknown, or the poisonous advice of doubt, most in this world end up “settling”; settling on a career and a life that is the safest, maybe the easiest, or the highest paying. We eventually give in to the notions society pushes on us that having a stable, high paying job with a big house and nice cars and material possessions is what the model citizen should aim to achieve. I believe in turning my back on these things that I’m being told to want. I believe in embracing the kid living within me and following that guiding voice rather than the one that’s constantly telling me to fit in. The way I look at it, there is an entire world of opportunity is out there and I’m not going to leave it unexplored by being pigeon holed into what I “should” do. Don’t accept limits placed upon what you can do. My dream is to write for people. I want to have an impact on people, whether it’s just a chuckle to themselves while reading a morning paper, a center piece story in Sports Illustrated or maybe a TV show or movie script vision put into life. I love having an impact on people’s lives like this, however substantial. What I’m hearing from this nagging hag that is the doubt, is that writing jobs are hard to come across in this economy! “Do you know how hard it is to break into sports writing? It doesn’t pay very well. What makes you think people want to hear what you have to say anyway? No movie or TV studio would accept your ideas, not to mention how hard it is to even get them to read it…” Sadly, this voice that lives within each and everyone one of us, has claimed more dreams than anyone can count. I laugh in the face of these doubts, though. I’m going to keep writing and writing until someone notices, and I’m going to keep pissing off that “voice of reason” that resides within me. I’m not going to succumb to the realists that chip away at our childhood dreams. I believe in following your dreams, no matter how out there they may be. And one day you’ll see my name out there beside written by. That’s what I believe.