The Redneck In Me

Ed - Kent, Washington

“Be all that you can be” There are a lot of people walking down the street putting on airs. In some places, it may earn them attention and popularity but in others people see right through it. Throughout my whole life I’ve lived in many places trying to discover who I am. I’ve lived in Washington, Illinois and Texas and my personality has changed a lot. I moved to Illinois from Washington and lived there until I was 8. I lived both on a farm and in town and listened to everything kids liked in the late 90’s, boy bands. I regret listening to that, but I can’t do anything about it. In fifth grade, I moved to Texas, where I listened to rock and metal music and really disliked country music, mainly because I had never really listened to it. After a year, my family and I moved back here to Washington and have lived here since. I kept listening to Rock until seventh grade, when I picked up Country music and fell in love with it. Everything they sang about, applied to my family. As if they were singing about us. My 8th grade year was better because I was closer to being in High School. Everybody in school noticed I had changed a lot since they first had known me, but nobody said anything to my face. I heard people talking behind my back, but it never affected me because I think that even if it was bad stuff they were saying, it was them worrying about me, not the other way around. Spring of 8th grade is when the, “name calling,” began. “Redneck,” was the first name. After that, “Hick, NASCAR lover,” and, “Trailer Trash” were the most popular ones. At first I thought it was pretty bad I was being called this, but then I realized I really couldn’t help who I was, and if it meant being called names, so be it. I came to learn those names aren’t necessarily bad. Lots of people take pride in them. After a while, people started noticing the name calling didn’t affect me because there was nothing wrong with hicks. Most people based these opinions on what they saw in movies and on T.V. One example is the movie “Talladega Nights The ballad of Ricky Bobby.” In this movie, the hardworking, middle class, blue collar men and women are portrayed as drunk and very dumb people. That’s not what we are about. But a lot of people don’t know this because they don’t take the time to listen to what we have to say. Movies like that teach people the very wrong meaning of, “Redneck,” or “Hillbilly.” I want to see all the people who criticize us to spend some time in our shoes and then I might consider taking their opinions to heart. Until then, I will continue to find myself within this crazy jungle we call society. Now that I am a little bit older, I’m happy I am finding out who I really am. I am proud of my Mexican roots and my Redneck branches.