I Believe in Youth

Mireille - LaGrange, Illinois

Lately I’ve been finding myself unable to walk into the nearest Chipotle and order some pulled pork tacos without seeing a swarm of seventh grade girls. Normally I do not mind those who are younger then me; I tolerate the freshman, and such. But there is something about these girls, with their matching pastel colored North Faces and hot pink Razors that drive me crazy. It could be the fact that they have already started applying more make up then I currently wear, or that they have designer purses. Maybe its that they are solely concerned on if their hair looks good. But I think that is mainly how hard they try to act older then are. Quite honestly, I don’t understand why everyone is so focused on growing up. Certainly, there are some things that sound good, but I wish I could just go back to the age of ten, when nothing really mattered. I didn’t have to worry how I was going to get money for Friday night; I didn’t have to worry about homework. I didn’t have to freak out about getting into college. No, it was all about who was winning that game of Capture the Flag, or who could bounce the highest on the trampoline. I miss the bliss of ignorance, where we would play pretend in between the trees, and touch the sky with our toes. Everything was easy. Everything was pure. There was no regard for time; it was just when it started getting dark, or whenever you felt was appropriate. I miss the ache of my heart, when I would be called in from playing outside. Trees were my fortress, and mud was my friend. I could wear the same shorts everyday and no one would think twice. Brushing your teeth was gross, and it was always a mad rush to finish my milk, so I could play. I was truly free when I was ten years old. And I thoroughly miss it. Now in high school, everyone is concerned about how to act, dress, talk, what’s cool, and what’s not. People are troubled about acting mature, when really our brains do not mature until the age of twenty-five. So while we are all trying to be grown up, maybe we should just slow down, and act our age. Be immature, because we’re still kids and people expect that. Though I’m fifteen, I occasionally act like I’m nine. I believe that we should stay young. I believe in youth.