The Power of Memory

Jill - LaGrange Highlands, Illinois

On November 16, 2005, I totally entered into a new ballpark that opened many doors for me and no one can take the opportunity I had away from me from that point on.

At seven-thirty that night, it was going to be my first performance on the Auditorium Theatre’s stage. This was my first experience ever to be on professional Broadway along with my fellow classmates. We were the children’s choir for Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

I remember being in the wings just five minutes before the music exploded into the house. I was so nervous; my hands were shaking like mini earthquakes. There was a little t.v. to my right that showed how many people were there and the bottom half of the screen showed the conductor. And of course for being the opening night of a popular musical, all 3,500 seats were jammed pack with people. All of a sudden, there was a roar of clapping and screams. Then, it was dead silent. The music started to go and my group of classmates entered onstage from stage right. The beams of colorful lights were pounding on us as we were singing. I noticed again how many people were there and I was so nervous that my cheeks were literally shaking. The music was playing while the other cast members were dancing. It was the coolest thing ever! That’s something nobody can take away from me. They can’t take away my memory of that opening night.

I believe in the power of memory. Although those 16 performances happened years ago, I still remember every crisp detail of that opening night; the temperature, the texture of the stage, the lights, and so on. Still today I close my eyes, draw back the curtains and replay those performances in my head. People go through experiences everyday, but our memory is what helps us keep going. Memory helps us answer the right question from hours of studying for a test, helps us go in the right directions for a location, etc. It could be bad, good, inspirational, helpful, or whatever it may be. We may have objects from the experience, but as life goes on, those things get lost, but the memory of it will live on and will always stay in one place.