Support

William - 60525, Illinois

I believe in the power of supporting other people. Without support I would be nowhere, I wouldn’t be playing tennis, I wouldn’t be doing well in school, and most importantly I wouldn’t be as close to my family. My parents have been there every major step of the way, since the first time I arrived to pre-school to my first major USTA tournament in Naperville. Knowing that my parents were watching made me work harder and push myself to do better in every sporting event I tried. One instance I will always remember is when I got threw a really hard time because I knew my parents supported me. It was two years ago and I was playing in a big tournament. I was playing a person I knew I should have been beating but some how I was down 5-6 in the second set. If I didn’t win this next game I would lose the match and be out of a tournament. While it was my serve I looked over at the stands and saw both my parents sitting there waiting for me to serve the ball. It was a nice feeling knowing that they were both their and both interested in the game I was playing. I focused on the court threw the ball up and WAM…

Eventually when I lost the game I walked over to my parents a little disappointed, but mainly mad at myself for what had happened. What shocked me was the reaction I got from them. They did not yell or worse lie to me and tell me I did a great job, they told me the truth, which were, what mistakes I made in the game were, and things I need to change to improve. I think about that day often, and sometimes wonder, what if my parents weren’t their, or what if they lied about my performance. I truly think it is important that everyone has someone who supports them, no matter what the task is, because even if you try and don’t succeed you will have someone to help re-motivate you and guide you threw most of the way. I know many people can do well with self-motivation and discipline, but for me without the support of my parents I do believe it would be harder to push myself to do better and accel at what I already have accomplished.