Haley - USA

I am the youngest of four. I have one older brother, and two older sisters. But really, there was another member to our family who was just as important as any of us kids. Our Shepard husky, named Abbie. As we grew up, Abbie was always with us. She came on every family vacation, our car rides to the dry-cleaners, and on our ventures to the park. Needless to say, she was a large part of our life. When my sibling grew up and graduated high school and went off to college, I was still growing through the rest of my childhood. But Abbie remained. She became my ‘stand-in sister’ until the others came home for brakes and what-not. But on November 3rd, 2000 , Abbie was gone. She had developed pancreatic cancer in her old age. With everybody moving on in their lives and me still being at home, I was alone. No ‘stand-in sister’ to greet me when I came home from school and seeing my friends. So the years went on, we kept growing, and along came Essen . He is a spunky(to say the least), German Shepard-Lab-Rottweiler mix. Full of energy, and always ready to play. We adopted him January of 2005. I so vividly remember the car ride home, sitting in back with him as he slept, my parents sitting up front. He was so little, only 9 months old, and my dad was carrying him in the house as soon as we arrived. The feeling of seeing him roam around, so lost and confused as to what this new atmosphere was, just made me smile. The feelings of love, happiness, and spunk that I had once had with Abbie, were all coming back to me now. Of course Abbie is gone and will always be my ‘stand-in sister’, but Essen is here now, not as a replacement, but as the greatest new addition. Because I believe every child deserves a pet.

When you are younger, having a pet of some sort i think is so important. They become part of the family, and could possibly have such an impact on the way the child grows. A pet has the ability to create amazing memories in a childs life. That is why i believe that every child deserves to have a pet.