freedom to speak

Dana - La Grange Park, Illinois
Themes: freedom

I Believe in Freedom of Speech

I believe in freedom of speech. I believe that everyone is entitled to there own opinion and should be able to speak up, even if it doesn’t change a thing. Every person should be able to have a say in what affects them, no matter the situation.

I went to a Catholic Grade School from preschool four to eighth grade. Everyday for ten years, I never once was able to say anything about school rules. Some of them were unfair and unreasonable. It seemed that in every year I went there, more and more rules were added on. Some of those rules were uniform rules. We couldn’t show any individuality and we all had to look alike. One day, my teacher gathered my class together and said that we are going to have more rules on the uniform policy. I did not agree with them. Some of them I just didn’t understand. When I asked about them, my teacher said that our principle thought that it was an issue that needed to be address. I was really confused because I didn’t understand the point to the rule. When I kept asking why, my teacher gave me a scowl and said that “It doesn’t matter if you don’t understand. It is a new school rule and you just have to follow it like everyone else does.” I immediately stopped asking questions and started to think about what she had said. It showed me that sometimes, things just happen and I can’t say anything to stop it.

Freedom of speech is one of the great things about America. People have can openly appose something and not get throw in jail for it. In the Declaration of Independence, it clearly states that one of our God-given-rights is freedom of speech. In doing this, our fore fathers realized the importance of opinion. They realized that sometimes, things are wrong and should be addressed without conflict.

Sometimes, I am in a situation that seems is wrong, and I know that I have the right to oppose it. I know that I can say things on my mind and not get in trouble for it. Even though I still have to be respectful about what I say and respect who I say it too, in the back of my head, I know that I can still say my opinion. I know that I have my god-given-right to say what is on my mind. I know that I have my freedom of speech.