The Power of Music

Kameron - Western Springs, Illinois

Music is powerful

Songs set moods. You listen to your favorite rap song when you want to get hyped. You listen to the slow song when you’re sad. The pop song when you’re with your friends. I believe music is powerful, music is a medicine.

Music makes people smile, and smiling makes everyone feel better. Obviously music does not literally cure people but it brings you to a different place for a while and makes you think about something else, rather than stressors in life. This began when I was in the fourth grade. I used to play the violin, I was no musician, but my family would never tell me that. My grandpa was the one person who always said hearing me play made him smile. To this day he still pesters me about why I gave up playing, since he enjoyed it so much. He has had his share of sicknesses and when he heard the music it made him feel better for a short period of time.

Music is everywhere. Without it life would be plain. In movies there is always music for the suspense, foreshadowing, excitement, or the adrenaline rush. It makes the scene so much more powerful than it would be without the music.

You can walk outside and hear music. It brings people together. You hear it walking down city streets. People are gathering around listening and jamming to the same song. It makes the players of the music and observers feel good inside. Once the music hits you it goes through your body, and there is no other feeling like it. Whenever there are family parties at my house there is always music, it brings the whole family together and we love it.

The best part about music is that it is timeless, and there is no right or wrong. It has been around forever and is not going anywhere. Everyone loves it. It is poetry without a beat and sends messages in a creative way that can be interpreted in whichever way you want. Also, music inspires people. I know it inspires me when I hear an intense song before a game it makes you want to play harder and it motivates you.

This is why I believe music can be used as a medicine and is very powerful. There are many different genres to cater to every one’s likes and dislikes. I love music, what it stands for, and how it brings everyone together.