Do You Like Waffles???

Casey - Lexington, Kentucky

I believe in people becoming cacti. I believe in ADHD, waffles, Oreo cookies on the floor, cats having puppies; stupid things that most teenagers would have loved…at the age of 3. That doesn’t stop me, because I believe in being random and stupid. I have the maturity of a 30-year old, the body of a near 17-year old, and the heart of a 5-year old girl.

It started out when I went over to Adam’s house, who is my best friend and “partner in randomness”. We sprang up to his room like a couple of kangaroos on energy drinks, and began to do what we usually do in his room: make the other laugh. I had heard a joke from my older sister, and it’s been my “knock-out” knock-knock joke. It’s one of the “interrupting” jokes.

Knock Knock!

Who’s there?

Interrupting Cactus!

Interrupti……IIIIII’M A CACTUS!

See? Absolutely pointless, but funny. We kept going and going, until the other just couldn’t breathe! It showed us that being random can release the stress of anything in your life: family, school, and spouse relationships, anything that could possibly be putting the weight of the world on your shoulders.

It also helps when you have your friends around you. You can be yourself…your crazy, random, happy-go-lucky, lackadaisical, musical or silent self. It doesn’t matter who you are or what you do, you can always have a common, random purpose.

I guess being random can be related to being yourself. If you are yourself, you don’t have to wear a mask to hide your true colors. Take the mask off, and reveal your colors to the world. Blossom into the guy or gal you want to be. Don’t be afraid if Opportunity comes knocking, because Opportunity is very impatient, and it won’t be knocking very long. So…get off Facebook and go open the door, because there’s a good chance Opportunity will be standing there with a box of cookies saying “Come with me!”

There are no rules to being random, just guidelines. One, don’t be afraid to be yourself. If the time comes when you have to say something, say it. Don’t wait for Opportunity to walk away with that batch of your favorite cookies! Always do something that will get the attention drawn away from the crowd. Cough, sigh, anything that comes to mind; make up a joke in your head. Third and last of all…improvise! If you’re bored in class, paint a picture in your head, or imagine your teacher bald. Imagine them with a big fro if they don’t have hair. That one takes a while, so use it sparingly.

All in all, just because you see someone doing something that’s out of your norm doesn’t mean that they are “crazy”, “psycho”, or even “on the mental warpath”. Just give them space. There’s a chance what your doing could be considered random to them.