The Most Precious Gifts in Life

Kristy - Willow Prings, Illinois

The Most Precious Gifts in Life

It was three years ago on March 3rd 2006 when my mother suffered from a ruptured brain aneurysm. She went under several 6 hour brain surgeries to repair the artery in the left part of her brain. In time she began to recover and in three short weeks suffered from the same artery rupturing again. My family and I were told that my mother had less than 1% chance of surviving. My mother was put in the intensive care unit for three weeks in serious conditions. She was then released as an inpatient at the Rehab Institute of Chicago for rehabilitation where she monitored and performed various therapies. After two and a half months away from home, surprising us all, my mother bounced back and began to recover. By attending a year and a half of physical, occupational and speech therapy, my mother recovered better than expected. Even though she cannot participate in work any longer, she is still just as motherly-like as before, and we are so grateful for that.

By going through this experience I believe that family is the most precious and important gift in a persons life. My family and I had no choice but to be strong throughout this time in our lives and to be there for one another. I also believe that without the faith of god with us through this, we would not have encountered this miracle. We all kept faith that my mother was going to get better and never let our heads hang low. I believe that with all the trust we put in the doctors and prayers, it helped my mother survive such a tragic event. Also by keeping a good attitude and believing, we got in return the life of my mother. Going through this event in my life, I’ve learned to take life day by day and to be thankful for what you have because in just a blink of an eye one of the most important things in your life may be gone.