This I Believe…Be Passionate!

Kristin - Brookfield, Illinois

This I Believe….Be Passionate!

A few weeks ago, my mom and I were in the car listening to the song Roadhouse Blues by the Doors. About halfway through the song, Jim Morrison bursts out into a vocal solo where he just is singing in gibberish. I turned to my mom and just said how ridiculous that it sounded. After I said that, she just said that he was really into the song. I was still a bit skeptical, but then she said something that sort of surprised me. She said “Well what about when you make those funny faces when you play guitar?” I thought about this and then what she said about Jim Morrison and one word popped into my head: passion. He was so into the song he was singing that he just completely let loose.

I believe in being passionate; having an absolute love for anything you do that makes you happy. You don’t even have to be good at it, because as long as your passionate about it, you’ll have more of a driving force to succeed. There will almost always be people in the world who will criticize what your doing or how you’re doing it, but if you have a strong passion for it then you can get over those small obstacles. I can remember when I was really little trying to play guitar and sounding completely wretched because my hands were too small to make the chords. It was frustrating, but it was something I absolutely loved to do, so I stuck with it. I’m pretty glad I did because I can’t imagine my life without it. When people hate what they do, they convey that “I hate everything that I’m doing so I’m going to take it out on you” message, whereas people who love what they do, do not. The world, I believe, needs more passionate people because then they will lead a more enjoyable life for themselves and thus make life more enjoyable for the people around them. In the words of Oprah Winfrey, “Passion is energy. Feel the power that comes from focusing on what excites you.”