I believe in gardens

Breyanna - woodinville, Washington

Gardens, full of beauty and life but one mistake could destroy it all. A person’s

life is like a garden, it is always growing and changing with time. I believe in the gardens

of life, those that flourish and those that grow with help whether it be with tender loving

care or with the help of a professional but there are even those that will shrivel in time if

they are not cared for.

Sometimes a person’s life seems so easy, they are always happy and almost 100%

time of the time they have good news. Their problems seem so easy to your own; they

have a good job to help them save for college, they have a 4.0 grade point average, and

they have great friends. In your eyes they have the perfect life, a life you wished you had.

At a time in our lives we all felt our lives were perfect, I know I sure did. When I was

younger I was happy go lucky. I had friends who I thought were the greatest, a big happy

family, and parents who loved each other. Life was amazing and my garden was sprouting

with life.

Many people have hit a hard spot in their life whether it be pop quizzes, losing a

job, having to move, or fighting with a friend but we are all able to get over it with a little

help and we grow from that. For me the tough spot was my step fathers chain moving

habits. By the time I had gotten over the move and had finally made friends it was time to

move again. We had moved so much that I had changed for the worst. I had kept to

myself and was becoming more adult like than an 8 year old should ever be expected to

be. My mom had always tried comforting us with saying it was for the better and it was

intended to be because we were getting away from my step father’s screw ups but no

matter how much we moved he always screwed up and made things worst for us all to the

point of my mom leaving, this was my point of no return.

At the age of 12 my own garden of life was shriveling up. My mother and step

father were getting a divorce, we were all home schooled, my brothers were fighting and I

blamed it all on myself. I thought ‘well I’m the one with a different dad than everyone

else so it must be my fault’ I was the accident of the family so I took it all upon myself to

be the blame of their fight. I began hating my family and moved in with my real father. I

was sent to a psychologist where I had to under go a year an a half of counseling that only

seemed to make things worst, they had opened doors I never wanted open. It got to the

point where I was tired of everyone wanting in that I closed all the doors in their face. If I

was going to heal it would be by myself and I was going to start at the beginning of what

started it all; my mother. When my sister had come and picked me up to visit a friend she

asked if I wanted to see my mom and I agreed to it. Right when I saw my mom and my

new baby brother I broke down in tears. I had spent two years of hating the one who gave

life to me and she still took me in her arms and wanted my forgiveness. That moment

there had freed so much pain from my heart that my life seemed sunny again my garden

began to flourish once more.

Some times life can be hard and you just want to give up to the point where you

have shut everyone out and you are standing on that bridge looking at your reflection in

the rushing river with a complete look of dismay on your face because you don’t

recognize who you are anymore. You want to jump but then you see or hear something

that brings the sun out again and gives you a second chance. I believe in the gift of life that we are all granted and the people that bring you the sun when your sky is gray

because these are the people that will always be special to us. So go out and tell those

who have saved you countless times, thank you. They may not realize it right away but in

time they will understand what they did.