Hard Work Can Achieve a Lot

Henggao - Princeton Junction, New Jersey
Themes: work

There are many people in the world that have come a long way because of the hard work they have produced. Some of those people are like Barack Obama, and my tennis coach, Ed Tseng. They were both very average students in high school, but they eventually turned out to be successful. Obama was just an average student in High School. Though with hard work, he eventually received his masters’ degree from Columbia and PHD degree from Harvard. My Tennis coach progressed from an average student to failing out of college twice to becoming a successful tennis author and coach. That is why I believe that working hard and staying positive can achieve a lot.

My first example involves Barack Obama. Barack Obama was a young boy born in Hawaii. His dad was African American and his mom was white. He was also raised by his Caucasian grandparents in Hawaii. While he was at school, he was just an average student. He did not have the best grades, but he was accepted to Columbia and Harvard University. While Barack was at Harvard, he was the first African American on the Harvard Review Board. From an average student to a top Harvard graduate, Barack Hussein Obama has been elected as the 44th President of the United States of America. This proves that hard work can have amazing results. In Barack Obama’s speeches, I can feel that he has taken time to write and consult with his colleagues because his voice is firm and strong. The speeches during the campaign represent the tireless work he has done. He is one of those people who rise to the occasion.

Presidents were not the only people who began with little experience regarding their job. Great athletes, writers, coaches and scientists began learning the basics, but what makes them great was the amount of effort that they presented. They all work diligently to strive for greatness. They want to learn more and eventually, those same people would start working for success. One of those people is Ed Tseng.

I remember during the summer of 2008, I was taking a tennis camp. My coach is also an author and his book, Game. Set. Life: Peak Performance for Sports and Life has the keys to success. His name is Ed Tseng and I really enjoy him as my tennis coach. He began the camp with warm–ups because he believed that the preparation not only energizes our body physically, but mentally. After the warm-up, he would share a motivational story. The story always relate to success in life. I remember one of the stories was about a group of frogs. Several of the frogs fell in a hole and they all try to get climb out, but the other frogs were saying, “Give up, you’re not going to make it.”

Then there was this one frog who tried to work as hard as he could to jump out and he finally reached the surface. Then the other frogs were saying, “Why didn’t you listen to us? We were all telling you to give up.” The frog said, “I’m sorry, but I’m deaf.”

That story had many different lessons to be learned and one of them was keeping on trying. It does not matter if the other team is about to win because the extra effort might help the team “catch up.” That was the lesson that I learned from the story because I try to remain optimistic. If the country’s economy got worse and Obama did not continue to be optimistic, then it might remain inferior. Staying hopeful and positive is what makes a lost look like a won. Staying positive and hopeful is what makes me work harder.

The lesson I learned about working hard and staying positive is a lesson the whole world needs to know.