I Believe in Imagination

Olivia - Lagrange, Illinois

I Believe in Imagination

At 5 years old I was sitting in my room near an open window, my Barbies were laid out in front of me and I was busy making beds and homes for them. The materials I had with me consisted of old tissue boxes, books, towels and shoes. Even though it is difficult to imagine having any fun with those items, the truth was it was all I needed. I would use the boxes as beds and the towels as blankets, and the shoes as cars. In my mind none of those things actually were old tissue boxes, towel or shoes. They were large grand beds with canopies and pink and gold silk sheets, they lived in giant stone castles with butlers and princes and animals of every sort. The Barbies drove carriages and winter sleds pulled by horses. They dressed in beautiful gowns made of the most expensive silk and wore jewelry made of gold and diamonds. I was in my own world, a world of fantasy, a world of imagination. I didn’t need anyone else to help me. All I needed my imagination.

I believe in imagination. The denotation of the word imagination is a conception or mental creation. But I believe that there is more to that simple word than the dictionary can provide. It is up to ourselves to believe and experience imagination. As we grow older we step closer to reality and loose all sense of interest in the world inside our heads. We treat our minds immaturely, as if we are too mature or sophisticated to think like we used to as kids and then we can not make our world a more creative and lively place. It is difficult to be complete with the things we have because we can not see the “colorful” idea to them.

I believe in the idea of imagination. That there is more to life than reality. I believe that everyone can return to there state of imagination even if they feel as if they have lost it many years ago. I believe that with the idea of imagination we can make our lives more full and prosperous. Respect your thoughts, it is important to listen because what they are trying to explain is important.