Coffee’s Mate

Olivia - Wildwood, Missouri

I believe in the romance of coffee. The mornings when you roll out of bed; your hair looks like it went through the garbage disposal; you grope the walls, trip over nothing until you find the kitchen; you reach out to the only thing that can save you: coffee. Yes, coffee: the universal, bi-lingual beverage that speaks to both men and women across the globe. Coffee is not just a beverage that gets you through the day; it is the love language that every relationship dreams it could own up to. It is the first thing that greets you every morning and can instantly put that smile on your face.

Every Saturday morning I have to wake up at seven and rush over to open the store where I work. I count money, start registers, write out checks and make sure the store is in order. Being put in charge of all this work is important, and I cannot come half awake. Starting my morning off with coffee is essential; coffee is the only thing that can get me going, and is the constant encouragement that my day could be so much worse! This drink reminds me that the best things in life are simple, and that while not everything may go your way, coffee stays the same … it is dependable. Coffee greets me every morning in a Mr. Coffee ® machine and its thick, dark, aroma invades the confines of my nostrils and awakens me with a warmth of promise and fulfillment. After waking up my nostrils, the taste of this strong beverage gives me the jumpstart I need that should last me until noon. This drink puts me in a great mood, allows me to articulate words and takes away headaches I can get due to a lack of sleep (or coffee). It helps me start my mornings in a much more stable state of mind, by allowing me to be more patient with a little brother who refuses to wake up for school. Coffee mandates that the introvert come out of me and replaces it with the extrovert. Because of coffee: my mornings are much more cheerful, calming and all around brighter. Coffee often makes the sun shine in the thick of a thunder storm.

Coffee is not only just the way to start off the morning; it is the way to bring people together. When a date becomes interminable, it can easily be turned around by taking your date to Starbucks ®, Kaldi’s ®, or even Duncan Donuts ®. Immediately your date will smile when you order her a White Chocolate Mocha, or a Turtle Frappachino. The strong tie of coffee relaxes people; making them feel like it is a safe environment to talk, and through these open talks strong friendships can be formed. Coffee can change relationships with people. It is the binding beverage to catch up with old friends; to meet others for interviews; to study for tests; and inspire people to think and dream. Coffee demands the brain stay awake, and as a result, it prevents them from not falling asleep at the wheel, for instance. Another way to start a conversation in the office could be through talking to your co-worker about which flavor of additives you like the best. Through that conversation more flavors are opened up to you, and a friendship is on the horizon.

Coffee is a strong bond. It is the Elmer’s Glue ® of everyday life. It is the drink that pulls people out of their tired, and incredibly helpless state and promotes life in them. It is the gift that keeps on giving. This incredible beverage is the relationship you dream of: the first thing that greets you in the morning, never smells bad, never gets boring, and can always put a smile on anyone’s face. Coffee is the only thing that can instantly bring the best out of your worst; the only thing that can look you in the eye and sincerely make everything all right. It is the perfect way to begin a day, or end an evening. Coffee, I believe, is the perfect romance, the perfect dream, the perfect beginning, and the perfect end.