No One Has the Same Voice

Anna - Western Springs, Illinois

This I Believe…

On July 8, 2007 I moved from Memphis, Tennessee to Chicago, Illinois. I was 14 years old and about to start my freshman year of high school. I was nervous but excited all at the same time. This experience had brought to my attention what I believe in; that no one has the same voice.

I had lived in Chicago before I moved to Memphis for nine years, so it wasn’t a whole new and different place to me. Even though I knew people it was still hard to adjust. I defiantly was not the same girl they knew back in the 3rd grade. I was older, taller, and my ‘northern’ accent had changed to a ‘southern’ one.

One summer day I went to my friend’s house that I had known from the Elementary school I went to before I moved. It was a great time; we talked about old times and caught up on the new ones. She introduced me to some of her friends who were there that night and I had to opportunity to get to know them. They were all saying how they loved the way I talked and how I said some words. While the night went on, some of the people would randomly ask me how I said a word and they would say that I say it differently. I had never realized that I talked with such an accent until that night.

I believe no one has the same voice. It can depend on who you’re friends with and how they may talk or where you live, but we all know that no one speaks the same. In some parts of the world people speak many different languages, and in others they tend to have a different pronunciation of some words. This is what makes the world so unique in such a big and simple way, communication.