Practice Makes Perfect

Matt - USA

Practice Makes Perfect

“Whiff!” the bat whistled as it swung my whole body around.

“Strike three, he’s out!” the umpire shouted.

My eyes filled with water as I mopped my way back to the dugout. “I hate baseball,” I thought to myself.

I didn’t say anything as I hopped into my Dad’s car. My Dad noticed how frustrated I was; he did not let me just sit there and feel sorry for myself. Later that day he dragged me to Stella’s Batting Cage to hit some balls. I reluctantly went only because I had nothing better to do. After hitting a couple rounds of balls, I finally got back into my rhythm and started smashing the ball. Additionally, my Dad took me to Waiola Park where he hit ground balls to me. Before my next baseball game I went to Stella’s again to get warmed up. This little extra work paid off. The next game I had four hits, a diving catch, and got the game ball on my team. I learned this valuable lesson at a young age: practice makes perfect.

I realized I won’t ever be great at something unless I consistently practice and work at it. I do not play baseball anymore but I apply this important lesson to many other parts of my life. After my freshman wrestling season my coaches told me in order to improve I must wrestle as much as possible in the off-season. So I wrestled over 80 matches and practiced almost every day. That hard work paid off because now I am a much stronger, experienced wrestler. My football coaches told me I was too slow; I went to the track every Sunday to do sprints. This helped me become a faster, more effective football player. Finally the motto “practice makes perfect” even applies to my schoolwork. When I was struggling with my algebra, my parents demanded that I need to improve my grade. Instead of giving up, I came in early almost every day to see the teacher and work on practice problems. Once again, the extra work paid off when I ended up earning an “A” in the class. This is why I truly believe practice makes perfect.