Achievement

Brian - USA

Achievement

I believe in setting goals for yourself, and I believe that only through dedication, hard work, and perseverance can those goals be achieved. I believe that setting goals for yourself gives you a direction to work in, motivates you to always do your best, and after achieved, a goal gives you a sense of achievement.

I learned the importance of goal setting when I was in seventh grade. When I entered seventh grade, I had an extreme dislike for school. Because of this, I did not feel like working up to my potential. I was just not that motivated to do school work. It wasn’t until my report card came home after the first quarter of school did my feelings about school begin to change. My mom saw my grades and told me she wasn’t very happy. She sat me down and told me that I could do better. She helped me to create a list of goals that I could work towards. This list did not do anything to motivate me at first, but slowly I began to feel more motivated towards school. I realized that I could not let my mom down, so I began to work harder in school. I did not succeed at first. In fact, I experienced many setbacks before I saw a rise in my grades. At the end of the year my grades were above average and as a result of my hard work, I felt a strong sense of achievement.

From this experience, I learned the importance of goal setting. Goal setting gives you a sense of direction in your life and motivates you to do well. Because of this, I always try to set some basic goals that I can work to achieve. I always try to work up to my potential in everything I do, even during the most stressful times. I remember the joy of achievement whenever I feel like giving up. To me, the joy of achievement makes all the work you did to reach that point worth it. Because of this, I always strive to do the best at everything I do. This experience taught me an important life lesson that I will not forget.