The Age at Which you Relize the Importance of Family

Lauren - abita springs, Louisiana

Family is a huge part of my life. I believe that family should be a positive influence in every child’s life as they grow into well educated adults. My parents always tried to keep my family close and for the most part we were. My sisters and I would occasionally argue and fight over meaningless unimportant things, but we always knew that we loved each other and would be lost without them. Many events have taken place in my family’s lives, such as car accidents, cancer, and deaths. Even though my family has had its share of tragedies, we can always count on each other to be there for support when we need them.

As a child, my parents never missed one of my or my sister’s cheerleading games, dance recitals, or school field trips. They were there when we took our first step and when we walked down the aisle at our high school graduation. As a child, I never realized how special it was that my parents could be so involved in my life and participate in our everyday activities. My sisters and I always took it for granted and never thought how special it was to have them there for us. Such as, when they would take us out to dinner we would not appreciate it like we should of we would expect them to take us places. Until now, I am nineteen, and, as a child care employee, I can experience first hand the children who have working parents and are not able to attend their child’s activities. The children go to their games and practices alone, or with a babysitter, wishing their parents could be there with them. Watching these children and observing how sad they are when their parents can not attend, and hearing them say “I want my mom and dad to go to my baseball game or my Christmas party,” made me realize how much I take my parents for granted. I realized that my parents did not have to go to everything I had going on at school, but they did it for me and my sisters.

I have learned that having my parents around even when I really did not want them around was a privilege. My parents did not have to attend any of our activities. My sisters and I were very fortunate that they made a point to attend everything for us. My parents have always respected all the different stages in our lives as they allowed us to make our own decisions, but encouraged us to make good ones like “you do not have to do your homework but you need to keep up with your grades”. I have learned that in today’s world that means a lot. I personally have witnessed parents making every decision for their child and never giving them a chance to do anything on their own. From my parents I have also learned that when I have children I hope that I am as good as a parent as they are.

As I grew into an adult, and began to have to make decisions in life. I acted differently toward my parents; I respected them. I had learned a lot from them always being there for me such as, be responsible and do not worry about what other people think. At this point in my life, I realized I needed my parents and their support the most in making adult decisions. I knew that all I had to do was ask for help and they would be there for me, and I was right. My parents where there for me and they guided me through each decision as I decided which college I wanted to go toand what I was going to major in college. My parents always told me and my sisters “to follow our dreams and what ever we thought was right for us was okay with them”. They would always voice their opinions, but always left the final decision up to us.

Growing up I might not have always thought I needed my parents there for me all the time, but now I realize I do need my parents, and I always will. I appreciate all the effort they put forth throughout my life, and to stay close to me and help me with all my challenges along the way. I can count on my family for anything and without them I would not be the strong and independent young woman I am today. I know that as I grew up my parents would get stressed with me, but they stuck it out and never made me feel weak or unconfident about anything I experience. My parents always encouraged my sisters and me to follow our dreams. From all this, I believe I have learned a huge lesson in life. To, never put someone down for a bad choice or decision they have made, and always encourage them to improve the next time. Life is a continuous learning experience and many times we have to fail to succeed. I learned that whenever I have children I will continue to tell my children to follow their dreams throughout their lives, because if you work hard enough at your dream it will come true.