Life is a Blessing

dan - LaGrange Highlands, Illinois

I believe in having fun. Students go to school seven hours a day for five days a week. Adults work around eight hours a day for five days a week.This is beneficiary because we learn new things and challenge ourselves. On the other hand, society simply needs to balance work with “play.”

Primarily, I believed in work before play. During middle school, I came home at three-thirty, went to my room and finished all my homework. By the time I was done, it was after dinnertime and I had little down-time. I repeated this process for a long time until I lost my grandfather. My grandfather passed away in August and accomplished many things in his life. He was the backbone of the family; always there when you needed him. He taught me how to make my life worthwhile. In every memory I have of him, he always entertained his friends and family with food and laughter. When he passed, I realized life is a wonderful blessing to have. We need to work hard at school and work, but we also need to laugh and do things we enjoy every day.

Furthermore, I practice this belief by going to movies with friends, playing cards, and playing sports. After a long day of school, I like to come home and watch television, doing homework during commercials. I noticed my work seems to get done faster and is more enjoyable. On other days, I like to play backyard football with my neighbors and friends. Then I take a long shower and listen to music, then finishing up schoolwork.

In addition, doing things we love is good for our health. It relieves stress and therefore makes us happier people. I also believe strongly in the balance of work and play for many reasons. With too much work we are exhausted and with too much fun we get bored. When you mix them together, you become a happy, productive worker.

Overall, having fun is the most essential thing in my life. The word fun is a small word, with hundreds of meanings. To me, it is doing everything that makes me smile.