This i Believe

Danielle - 60525, Illinois

Computers, I-Pods, television sets, cell phones and digital cameras are a few tools almost every American owns. We buy these tools to make our lives easier, for example televisions are used to get important news updates as soon as they happen as well as to get entertainment at home. Cell phones were invented to make communicating between people easier. Americans are so used to having these objects at hand and ready to use in the blink of an eye that we do not think about what life would be like if we were not able to own them. I believe Americans should put more of their money toward helping the less fortunate in struggling nations.

Every morning I roll out of bed, turn on my TV and get ready for school. Thirty minutes later I run downstairs, put my lunch in my backpack, and grab breakfast to eat in the car on the way to school. Like most other Americans, I do not take the time to think about how fortunate I am to have a house to live in, food to eat and a school to attend. Last spring, my family and I went to a church near our lake house. During the mass the priest began talking about a program that would benefit young children in Africa that needed money for clothes, food and school supplies. I convinced my mom to let us sponsor Jackline, a five year old girl from Tanzania. Every month we donate thirty dollars to Jackline and her family. I enjoy getting letters from her telling us about how things are going for her and how she appreciates my family’s help. I know that the money we donate to Jackline could be used to buy things for our own enjoyment but making a difference in someone else’s life is so much more important.

If everyone took the time to realize that they could be making a difference in someone else’s life there would not be as many selfish people in the world. Also, there would not be nations struggling without money, food, jobs and a government. America is the wealthiest nation in the world and if the billionaires spending their money on cars and houses put that money towards helping families in need, more children like Jackline would grow up with an education and with food to eat. We have foundations in America that help support the victims of Hurricane Katrina and we have charities that help support sick children. Americans donate their time and money to help these funds so I do not see why they would not help support people in suffering nations. All it takes is a little bit of time and generosity to give people in need hope and brighter future.