Mistakes Are the Building Blocks of Life

Sophie - Western Springs, Illinois

Imagine your self as a construction worker. You and your team are building a house and are halfway done. You have just installed the tile and are about to latch on doors when you realize that you have made a terrible mistake. You have measured the doorframe wrong and now all the doors do not fit. Mistakes like this are never fun, can be rather embarrassing, and can cause a whole chaotic mess. But, looking back on something like this might make you realize that someone was bound to do it eventually, and if it hadn’t been done, you wouldn’t know to double check the measurements each time. This is why I believe in learning from one’s mistakes.

Not that I am a construction worker and know how to install floor tiles, but as a person, I know for a fact that no matter how old you are or what job you have, you will always make mistakes, because making mistakes is a big part of life and is human nature. Mistakes are nothing to be ashamed of because they are how we learn. As a child, fire looks bright and playful but once we touch it and it burns us, we know not to touch it again.

I am in the Salt Creek Ballet Company and because of that, ballet is one of the bigger aspects of my life. It has taught me many valuable lessons such as discipline, and hard work, but also how to learn from mymistakes and not to ponder on things in the past I might have done wrong. On countless occasions, I personally, along with many others, have messed up time and time again. But, that is why we have rehearsals, to make mistakes and learn from them. When doing a dance step wrong, you can injure yourself, as I have done before. But, when you injure yourself, you now know how to properly perform this movement and can learn to prevent anymore-bodily injuries.

After you learn though, you always hope that all the time and work you have put into rehearsals have paid off as you hopefully perform a flawless piece on stage.

With ballet, it has taught me how to learn from my mistakes. Which is why I believe in learning from one’s mistakes is a way to improve your life.